Thursday 26 August 2010

Flooded - Magpie Tales #29

http://magpietales.blogspot.com hosts a weekly writing prompt, write a small vignette or poem using the photo below as your inspiration. This is mine. . .


Slanting shadows, creaking doors,
whitewashed walls and wooden floors
corridors that echo with childrens fun
windows thrown open to afternoon sun

Patchwork quilts draped on the back of chairs
the well known scuffs half way up the stairs
Roses and cushions and the smell of thyme
. . . and fire lit evenings with a glass of wine

Smells from the kitchen where the radio sings
of raindrops on roses and other wonderful things
Tree branches that tapped on an old window pane
Lavender, candles, the smell of the rain

Impressions of a house, I have only just seen
in a far off place that I'm sure I've not been
Have flooded my mind, poured out of my fingers
although they're not mine, the memory lingers


Not my usual style, this one just 'happened'. :-)

23 comments:

Angie Muresan said...

I like it!

christine said...

What a beautiful place you've described, wish it was real I 'd be there!

anthonynorth said...

Lovely words. They flow nicely.

annell4 said...

Very nice, very nice!

Berowne said...

A true poem; congratulations.

Anonymous said...

Lovely poem, Susannah..it speaks of the comfort and love to be found in a true home. Some find home more easily than others, but it is what we are all in quest of. Beautifully written...:)

Lynette

Deborah said...

Beautifully written and a pleasure as always to read ... lovely Magpie :o)

Tess Kincaid said...

Lovely. I can smell that heavenly scent of thyme from here!

Doctor FTSE said...

I love the nod in the direction of Julie Andrews!
Nice, easygoing poem.

Jinksy said...

A sense of daja view, you created here...

Martin said...

"..Smells from the kitchen where the radio sings
of raindrops on roses and other wonderful things."

So glad this one just, 'happened'.

Sarah said...

I love this one. Especially the raindrops on roses...my 7 year old daughter and I listen to the sound of music soundtrack sometimes, while she sings along with her lovely voice.

Elizabeth said...

This one stands up and does a solo. It flows like raindrops on windows, and reads with such ease and a feeling of deep comfort. Bravo!

Elizabeth

Dianne said...

The ones that "just happen" are usually the best... Very nice poem...

Tumblewords: said...

A wonderful 'happening'. It just sings!!

Sue J said...

I love this one! Great Magpie.

Brigid O'Connor said...

Lovely Magpie, sounds like a warm, inviting place.

Lyn said...

Will gladly rent this one for a long season..can't wait to open the door!! Terrific...

Brian Miller said...

ha. like it when it just rolls off the fingers like that...nice rhythm...and pictures do that...stir memories that are not attached specificall but...nice mag!

Kathe W. said...

lovely poem and love filled home

Susannah said...

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate you taking the time to read and leave a comment.

Good to meet you all. :-)

Anonymous said...

You have created such a glorious image of comfort. I would like to live in such a place. I particularly like the patchwork quilts and the smell of the lavender. I understand about the impressions of a 'dream' house because they are also impressiomns I hold in my heart. Lovely, Susannah.

Susannah said...

Thanks Selma. :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...