Thursday 17 November 2011

Looking For a New Day

"For I will run into the great tomorrow and my heart will be fast and my breath will be faster and there will be no time for sharp remembering or mournful cries for what has gone. For I will be running with the wind in my face, dismal concrete underfoot and yesterday behind me snapping at my heels. I will run through the night time city streets, through the neon and dispair, past the boarded windows and the broken glass, past the street lamps and their yellow glare. I will run though my breath may sting my burning chest, for I am running, racing into tomorrow.

And when the hard ground softens and welcomes my pounding steps, and the heavens and its million stars hover above me like a great blanket of glory, still I will run. Towards the mountains, toward the oceans, toward the great tree up there on the ridge that bears my name. I will not slow, I will not falter, I will run into the great tomorrow, and my heart will be fast and my breath will be faster and there will be no time for sharp remembering or mournful cries for what has gone. For I am still running and there will be no rest until at last I am home."

Written for The Real Toads and Kerry's Wednesday Challenge
Image: sb

10 comments:

Carrie Van Horn said...

Such beautiful imagery in this Susannah...i can feel the journey of the heart in your words....a longing for freedom from the past.
Lovely writing!!

Kerry O'Connor said...

Gosh, I love this piece! The sheer energy and vitality of purpose it encapsulates is superb. There is enough mystery, too, to keep the reader wondering what has prompted such a flight.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Oh what a wonderful and vibrant read........the energy just builds and builds until poem and poet arrive home. Beautiful, Susannah! Glorious.

Anonymous said...

I love this for its sheer energy. I feel I'm running along beside the poet as image after clear image flashes before my eyes (and actually, I'm just remembering a dream I had once, that felt similar to this!). Lovely writing.

Mary Ann Potter said...

I enjoyed running with you! 8-) A beautifully done piece --- so energetic yet with carefully written imagery. You didn't lose its beauty and meaning; you didn't run away from it. 8-)

Lyn said...

"No time for sharp remembering"...I think you won this marathon..Elegant and beautiful!

The Unknowngnome said...

Press on toward the goal to win the prize. Keep the faith.

Your piece leaves me breathless. Well done.

Jinksy said...

Reminds me of a quote from Pilgrim's Progress "Is the road uphill all the way?" *smiles*

Doctor FTSE said...

Way, way better than many so-called "poems"

Susannah said...

Thanks everybody for your comments. :-)

It is good to see you. x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...