Wednesday 23 March 2011

Supermarket Car Park - For Three Word Wednesday

For Three Word Wednesday - (prompt words Dual Identical Volley)

S U P E R M A R K E T
C A R P A R K


The volley of words sent me reeling backwards.

What was this verbal assault and why was it aimed at me? I closed my eyes, took a deep breath and tried to find a calm space amongst the tumultuous feelings that were surging around my body, surfing the adrenaline like waves.

I felt my fingers tighten around the car keys in my trembling hands as I fumbled again to get them into the lock of my car. I needed to get inside, close the door away from the shouting. I needed to gather my composure so that I could think straight.

My precious little car, with its shiny red paintwork, electric windows, and dual braking system, it was my pride and joy, the best present I had ever received. You would understand why if you saw the bucket of rust it had replaced.

But now, they were still shouting at me and I couldn't think straight, I couldn't even hear what they were trying to say. Panic had set in and had only fueled my mounting anxiety and my desire to just get inside my car and get away from this.

Damn I wish my hands weren't shaking so much, I couldn't seem to unlock my car, I knew I should have had central locking, one button and it would be unlocked and I would be safe. Locked inside my leather interior I would be able to think straight, I know I would.

Then I felt the hands on my shoulder, the shouter was there behind me. Tears welled in my eyes and overflowed down my flushing cheeks as I turned to him and screamed. "Leave me alone!"

He recoiled and looked at me in amazement, the shock on his face jolted me. I stopped dead still and stared at his moving lips as the rushing sound in my ears abated. It was then I finally heard what he was saying... "That is my car."

Was he crazy? What did he mean?

I was stunned into silence and looked around at the gathering crowd of people drawn by the raised voices. It was then I saw the identical car two rows down. I saw my dolphin air freshener hanging from its rear view mirror.

It was my car. Oh shit!

13 comments:

Old Egg said...

I have done this too. You just can't understand why the door won't unlock!
And why can't you see all the clues?
Enjoyed the story immensely.

Gemma Wiseman said...

O what a wretched, humbling moment, but it makes for a great story!

Sheilagh Lee said...

Sheilagh Lee said: wonderful story it's happened to me oops should I admit that? LOL

Jae Rose said...

'Oh shit' moments - don't they make you shake and feel queasy..we all have our own little red carapaces in one form or another..the need to retreat into them is captured perfectly in this supermaket carpark..I hope she drove you home safely..Jae

Deborah said...

LOL ... I loved it! :o)

Ramesh Sood said...

Beautiful..we all pass through such moments..in life some or the other time.with different things..

gautami tripathy said...

Enjoyed it very much!

face on the wall

VL Sheridan said...

Oh yes, I've had days like this. Luckily for me I figured out it wasn't my car before I tried to break in!

Christine said...

My heart pounded for you as I read this. I once walked a few floors of an indoor car park looking for my vehicle. Like a Seinfeld episode.

Unknown said...

Oh Shit! is right. Totally entertaining and surprising.

Altonian said...

A well told 'thriller', with a humbling finish. I didn't see it coming - excellent story.

rmpWritings said...

very intense read. had my adrenaline up and running. Nice.

K said...

good lord! how very embarrassing and humbling. and, dare i say, funny? well, the high point is that at least you didn't loose your car in a mega parking lot...but that would be an entirely different story.
Nicely told.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...