Monday 11 July 2011

When Head Battled Heart . . .


On a whim, I followed the twisted river.
Instinct galloping on up ahead,
astride the sparkling moment.

Effervescent and soft saddled,
my sleek and sturdy steed
ran like the wind.

Blustered and blown, I felt that sharp sting,
that biting buzz of conscience,
twinged.

Reason and his long loyal henchman,
had joined forces, collaborated
to stop my errant flight.

The strong arms of thought and logic,
those powerful twin adversaries,
clung around my ankles.

But my wily and wise earthbound feet
had grown swift, with wings
upon their willing heels.

For that bright and glorious butterfly
that had formed, and fluttered
from my ever open heart

was far too full of joy, for me to ever resist,
and I, its guardian and willing cohort
had no more doubt.

I gathered myself up, and swirling light
and scattering colour, I danced
out into the waiting world.

Where my life became a painting,
and my every footstep
became a poem.

.

Written for Wordle 12 at the Sunday Whirl

14 comments:

Traci B said...

There's a defiant joy in this that I find appealing, Susannah. It's like the written version of the picture in your sidebar. Great use of the wordle. :)

flaubert said...

Susannah, a beautiful journey with your words. I love the ending.

Pamela

Laurie Kolp said...

Susannah- An exceptional piece. I especially like:

The strong arms of thought and logic,
those powerful twin adversaries,
clung around my ankles.

irene said...

Susannah, I think this is fantastic and I really like the way you dramatise the tug between head and heart.

Daydreamertoo said...

Loved it. Very full of vivid, colourful imagery. Gave a feeling of a carefree freedom.

Elizabeth said...

Love the soft romantic imagery you use to describe the always constant struggle between common sense logic and the deep desire to follow ones bliss. Hope the heart continues to win out, always.

Elizabeth

Mary said...

A truly beautiful poem, Susannah. I just absolutely love the last stanza!

Anonymous said...

Susannah, the abandon in this work, the sheer joy expressed, following that river - and most especially, the "twins," thought and logic... really lovely use of the Wordle, and in general, a great poem! Amy
Here's what I came up with, also running beside a river!
http://sharplittlepencil.wordpress.com/2011/07/13/where-i-found-a-poem/

Susannah said...

Thanks everyone for your great comments. I really appreciate them. :-)

echo said...

This is really beautiful. I hope you don't mind but I posted a section of it and a link to it on the backpacker.com forums at http://forums.backpacker.com/cgi-bin/forums/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=852107219;t=9991150522;st=0;r=1;&#entry9992098818

Susannah said...

Hi echo, I am really glad you liked it. x

Vinay Leo R. said...

Beautiful poetry that is very attractive. Elegant, and in tercets, which I find hard even nowadays :)

My poem ~ A Poetic World

Susannah said...

Thanks very much Leo. :-)

Mr. Walker said...

I like the personification of "Reason and his long loyal henchman" and "The strong arms of thought and logic" - and the ending of every footstep a poem.

Richard

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...